Connect with us

News

Police to review lopsided promotions after Satellite Times report

Published

on

Jimoh Moshood, Police Public Relation Officer (PPRO)

Following the exclusive report by SATELLITE TIMES which exposed lop-sidedness and favouritism in the last Police promotion exercise, the new leadership of the Police Service Commission (PSC) is set to review the controversial promotions.

In his determination to bring back the past glory of the police, the new Chairman of Police Service Commission, Alhaji Musiliu Smith, a retired Inspector-General of Police (IGP), has appointed retired Justice Clara Ogundipe to head the committee to review recent promotions revealed by this newspaper to have been lopsided.

In July 2018, SATELLITE TIMES’s investigation revealed that the last police promotion had left legion of deserving officers disaffected as Jimoh Moshood, Police Public Relation Officer (PPRO) was promoted twice in six months while Abdulkarim Abdullahi, a personal assistant to the current Inspect General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, was promoted to the rank of Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP), whereas his Course 35 mates were still only Superintendent of Police (SP), having been promoted to that rank just last year.

Going by the General Promotion Guidelines spelt out for the Police Service Commission, it takes a minimum of three years for an officer between the ranks of Assistant Superintendent of Police (CSP) – Assistant Commissioner of Police (ASP) to be considered for another promotion during which time he or she must have attended the relevant promotion course and passed the prescribed examination. Similarly, it takes a minimum of four years for an officer in the Nigeria Police Force to be considered for promotion to any of the ranks between Assistant Commissioner of Police and Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG).

A dependable source at the Police Service Commission told Daily Independent newspaper “the committee started sitting two weeks ago, and it has called for the nominal roll of the entire police force.”

READ ALSO: Police Promotion Scandal: Spokesman Jimoh Moshood elevated twice in 3 months, P.A to Inspector General promoted above mates

“The committee is mandated to review all promotions from 2016 till date. After the screening, those who do not merit their promotions would be reverted to their former ranks,” the source added.

Daily Independent learnt that Justice Ogundipe, a retired Justice of the Supreme Court, is being assisted by Lawa Bawa, a retired Assistant Inspector-General of Police (AIG).

The timeframe given to the committee to submit its report was not immediately known, but the dependable source at the PSC explained that there was no timeframe because of the volume of work involved.

“The volume of work is much that was why they were not given a timeframe, because they are expected to do a thorough work, so that tomorrow nobody will say he or she was victimised.”

It was gathered that the Musikilu Smith-led new new board members, on assumption of duty in July, received myriad of petitions from serving police officers who were said to be aggrieved over what they claimed was “lopsided promotions”.

The paper also reported that some of those who petitioned the commission claimed that when the list of promoted officers was released, their names were not among the successful officers even when they were due for promotion.

They alleged that because they could not induce some influential officers, their rights were denied them.

Link to SATELLITE TIMES report

Advertisements

News

Army releases detained pregnant woman, Noroh Dung

Published

on

Noro Dung

The Nigerian Army has yielded to pressure and released a heavily pregnant woman, Noroh Dung, who was arrested and detained during a search and rescue operation in Du district, Jos South LGA of Plateau State.

Noroh who was whisked away on October 2 was released on Friday, October 12.

Speaking to SATELLITE TIMES, Barr. Godfree Matthew of the Christian Lawyers Association, confirmed Noroh’s release, adding that he was a signatory on behalf of the NGO (Non-Governmental Organisation) he represents.

The news of her release comes shortly after the House of Reps waded into the matter, asking the Federal Government to allow relevant agencies to do everything within the law to trace the whereabouts of all missing persons in Nigeria.

SATELLITE TIMES had reported how Noroh was arrested alongside other civilians on suspicions of probable links to the disappearance of Gen. Idris Alkali, who according to the Nigerian Army was a victim of irate youths who blocked roads and attacked travelers, following the invasion of their community on September 2.

SATELLITE TIMES and the Christian Lawyers Association have been championing the release of Noroh ever since the news of her arrest reached this paper.

Details later…

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Missing General: House of Reps responds to Satellite Times report

calls for investigation into disappearance of missing pregnant woman, Noroh Dung

Advertisements

Published

on

Noro Dung

The House of Representatives on Thursday responded to a report by SATELLITE TIMES newspaper over the arrest and detainment of a heavily pregnant 20-year-old woman, Noroh Dung, who was whisked away midnight October 2, following a search and rescue operation by the Nigerian Army in Du district of Jos, the Plateau State capital.

SATELLITE TIMES had reported how Noroh was arrested alongside other civilians on suspicions of probable links to the disappearance of Gen. Idris Alkali, who according to the Nigerian Army was a victim of irate youths who blocked roads and attacked travelers, following the invasion of their community on September 2.

This paper also reported how a PUNCH journalist, Mr. Friday Olokor was arrested and detained in a military dungeon on October 6, where he said he saw a pregnant woman suspected to be Noroh Dung.

READ ALSO: Missing General: Heavily pregnant woman held captive by Nigerian Army in Jos

The motion was raised on the floor of the House by a member from Plateau State, Mr. Edward Pwajok (SAN) who raised concerns about the direct involvement of the military in the investigation of the cases of missing persons.

While sympathizing with families who were affected by the recent unrest, Mr. Pwajok urged the Federal Government to allow relevant agencies to do everything within the law to trace the whereabouts of all missing persons in Nigeria.

He urged the “Federal Government and the relevant security agencies to do everything within the law to trace the whereabouts of all missing persons in Nigeria, including but not limited to Maj. Gen. Alkali and Captain Mwankon-Gyang.”

Mr. Pwajok told the House that allowing constituted security agencies to handle the investigation of missing persons in the communities, specifically the Police and DSS (Department of State Service) would help respect the rule of law and human rights of the citizens.

Similarly, Mr. Pwajok called for the release of all those under detention, particularly civilians detained at the 3rd Division Nigeria Army Rukuba Barracks in Jos, for proper investigation in line with due process and the rule of law.

Part of the motion raised by the House read, “(The House) is further worried by reports that many people, including pregnant women and the aged, were and are being arrested and taken to the Rukuba Barracks of the 3rd Armoured Division of the Nigerian Army for interrogation with some of them spending many days there; among them was a journalist, Mr Friday Olokor, a correspondent of The PUNCH newspapers in Jos, who was arrested along with others in a restaurant in Ray Field…”

On October 8, this paper contacted Col. Kayode Ogunsanya, Deputy Director, Army Public Relations for an official response to confirm whether or not Noroh was in their custody, he did not pick his calls but later responded saying, “no such name in our custody.”

While the army has remained in denial of Noroh’s arrest and detainment, it is suspected that more pregnant women could be sharing the same fate at the 3rd Division of the Nigerian Army in Rukuba Barracks.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Access Bank to pay N100 million damages to Oba Tejuoso

Published

on

Access Bank Plc
Access Bank Plc building used to illustrate the story

After six years of fierce legal battle between Ogun State monarch, Oba Adedapo Tejuoso and Access Bank Plc, Justice Mojisola Olatoregun of the Federal High Court, Lagos on Tuesday slammed N100 million damages on the bank for its negligence.

The trial judge, Justice Olatoregun in her judgment held Access Bank and the third defendant; Intercontinental Securities Limited liable for gross negligence in the handling of share purchases by the Mr. Tejuoso, kept under their care and control.

The bank, in July 2008 advanced to the plaintiff the sum of N276,613,297.00 for the purchase of shares in various companies.

According to the agreement between the plaintiff and Access Bank, the security for the loan was the share certificates which were kept under the management and control of the bank.

The court took judicial notice of the express instruction in writing given to the bank by the Plaintiff that the shares purchased with the loan should be sold immediately their value dropped below 130% of the loan facility.

The trial court agreed with the contention of counsel to the plaintiff, Mr. Adeleke Agbola that the bank failed to observe the minimum legal duty of care to the plaintiff in their contractual relationship.

However, the court in its judgment ordered the bank and its subsidiary, Intercontinental Securities Limited to pay the sum of N100 million damages to Mr. Tejuosho for breach of contract.

Agreeing with the argument canvassed by Mr. Agbola, the court held that from the material facts placed before it that the Plaintiff has suffered great loss of his monies under the care of the bank.

Oba Tejuoso

Oba Tejuoso [Photo credit: guardian.ng]

The monarch instituted the suit in 2012 against the defendants. The suit had earlier dragged to the Court of Appeal over an attempt to remove Access Bank as a co-defendant in the suit.

However, the attempt was rebuffed by the Court of Appeal, Lagos Division. In its verdict, the appellate court held that the bank was a necessary party to the suit, and ordered for return of the suit to the lower court for the trial to start afresh.

In the suit, Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) was listed as the first defendant while the bank and its subsidiary, Intercontinental Securities Limited were listed as second and third defendants.

It was held that the banker/customer relationship between the plaintiff, and the 2nd and 3rd defendants imposed a legal duty of care on the defendants which was breached, as a result of their negligent conduct.

Apart from the N100 million damages, the court ordered the bank and Intercontinental Securities Limited to give account of how they used the N276,613,297.00 facility advanced to the Plaintiff and also give an account of all purchases and sales of stocks and shares effected by or on the instruction of both the 2nd and 3rd defendants on the usage of the Plaintiff’s money.

 

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Follow me on Twitter

Trending

Copyright © 2018 Satellite Times. All rights reserved. This material and any other material on this platform may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, written or distributed in full or in part, without written permission from SATELLITE TIMES.
Powered by FixIT Services

error: Alert: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this: